Bees are essential to our world. They pollinate over 35 percent of our food crops and many of the crops required by livestock. Our food supply would crumble without them. And yet honeybees are endangered.
This holiday season you can help bees, shop local and provide something sweet and healthy for your friends and loved ones by supporting local beekeepers.
And we are lucky, because around Austin and Hill Country area we have many great beekeepers and bee products to choose from.
Here are some sweet gift-giving suggestions:
Local honey producers
- Austin Honey Co., Austin – honey and other bee products
- Texas Honey Farm, Austin – honey and bee themed gifts
- Round Rock Honey, Round Rock – honey of many varieties
- R&T Bee Ranch, Hill Country– family owned
- Fains Honey , Llano – for honey and honey butters
- Uvalde Honey, Ulvalde the “honey capital” of Texas
Creamed honey and Comb honey – very special honey treats
Tours and Tastings – suit up for a real beekeeper experience or tasting
Candles made of clean burning beeswax
- Honey enriched soap from Round Rock Honey
And if you get some honey for yourself, here is a resource for honey recipes from the National Honey Board.